Saturday 28 March 2009

The One That Got Away?

I despair sometimes. Whilst so called talent is festooned with plaudits despite sounding like a vacuum cleaner on reverse (Duffy for instance) really talented people are sidelined. One of the later is the excellent Candie Payne. Liverpudlian Payne's debut album 'I Wish I Could Have Loved You More' is a delicious slice of pop. It has the same 60's tinge as Winehouse and Duffy and she has even worked with Mark Ronson quite extensively.

What sets Candie Payne apart from her contemporaries however is a refusal to partake in vocal histrionics. This gives her sound a feel of the Dusty Springfield's or Petula Clark's. And that is not to be sniffed at. I only hope that the world wakes up to Candie Payne's talent and she gets the success she undoubtedly deserves.



1 comment:

Piley said...

couldn't agree more marmite. When i posted my 'best of 2007' (here) I mentioned the fab version of The Kaiser Chiefs Oh My God she on The Jonathan Ross Show with Mark Ronson and Ricky Kaiser Chief. Far superior to the Lilly Allen version that turned up on the album.

She has one cool voice.

Just got an exclusive interview with Barrie Masters (Eddie and the Hot Rods) over on mine if you fancy a look?

Good to see you blogging again!

P